A Little Bit of History
St. Paul’s became an organized parish of the Episcopal Diocese of Georgia in 1851. In 1855, the first Episcopal Bishop of Georgia consecrated the first location of St. Paul’s. In 1896, the current location of St. Paul’s was dedicated and included a cornerstone from the 1855 building. The present St. Paul’s could be described as resembling the typical English country church.St. Paul’s is known as the mother church of the western part of the Diocese of Georgia. The Blessed Sacrament Chapel was consecrated in 1962 and the porte cochere and pergolas were completed in 2009. We established a Memorial Garden in 1990 where loved ones’ ashes may be buried, and a Columbarium, an above ground wall for ashes’ interment, was added in 2014. Barney’s Corner, a space for scattering ashes of family pets, was dedicated at the Blessing of the Animals in 2011, and is located in the southeast corner of the Lucy Walters Memorial Garden.
Albany, Georgia: Founded in 1836, Albany is the county seat of Dougherty County. Albany enjoys many cultural offerings including Theatre Albany, Albany Symphony, Civil Rights Museum, and Albany Art Museum. Albany State University and Albany Technical College both offer higher education in the Albany community. Additional cultural facilities include the Flint RiverQuarium, Chehaw Park’s zoo and outdoor activities, the Wetherbee Planetarium, and Thronateeska Heritage Center.
St. Paul’s Leadership
Rector (Senior Pastor), The Reverend Galen A. Mirate, Vestry: Gennie Marcus, Senior Warden; Ned Newcomb, Junior Warden; Vestry Members: Tony Blakey, Carol Fullerton, Jim Hendricks, Lisa Kelly, Kari Middleton, Jessica Rutledge, Bill Swan. Sean Hendley, Treasurer and Dave Orlowski, Chancellor. Marcia Hood, DMA, Music Director/Organist; Lynne Parks, Handbell Director; Penny Alligood, Parish Administrator; Debbie Shanklin, Financial Secretary; Velma McClary, Housekeeper; and Robert Clay, Sexton.
St. Paul’s has many group activities including:
- Foyers – a group of 10 to 12 parishioners who meet monthly for dinner and fellowship at an individual’s home.
- EpiscoChicks – a monthly gathering of women parishioners for hors d’oeuvres and fellowship at an individual’s home.
- Daughters of the King – The chapter was established in 1979 and its mission is prayer, service, and evangelism. Daughters of the King is an order for women who desire to bring others into a living, loving relationship with the Lord, to strengthen the spiritual life of the parish through prayer, and to serve others.
- Yard Birds – a group of parish volunteers who work as caretakers of the church grounds and maintain the grounds.
- Young Enoughs – a group of parishioners with ages ranging from college grads to those having college age children. They meet several times a year at an individual’s home for food and fellowship with goals to serve the community. Activities include making and delivering lunches to those in need and taking Christmas goodies to parishioners in nursing homes.
- Chill and Grill – a men’s group that meets periodically for cooking and fellowship. This group also helps prepare food for church events such as Shrove Tuesday and Fish Frys.
- Shepherding High School Seniors – parishioners are paired with a graduating high school senior to spend time, provide guidance, and participate in activities.
Events and Calendar
Following list the planned major events: All events cancelled until further notice.
- May 30—Consecration of XI Bishop of Georgia, Savannah
- May 31—Holy Eucharist w/ XI Bishop of Georgia presiding, Savannah